4 days between castles, mining, steel and iron
Along the Ruhr, often idyllic, rural and close to nature, you go on a discovery tour by bike through the Ruhr region. What makes this tour so extraordinary are the still recognizable traces of coal and steel and the imposing industrial monuments in contrast to the many idyllic and rural sections and nature reserves.
Day 1: Schwerte
Individual arrival in Schwerte and overnight stay. Spend your arrival day in the beautiful Altstadt of Schwerte and discover sights like the old town hall with the Ruhrtalmuseum.
Day 2: Schwerte - Witten (approx. 30 km)
From Schwerte you will travel along the Hengstey- and Harkotsee to Witten. Nice change: On the Harkortsee a passenger boat trip is offered in Herdecke to Wetter, where you can also carry your bike.
Day 3: Witten - Essen (approx. 60 km)
The next day starts with a district highlight: In the coal mine Nachtigall you experience the roots of the Ruhr mining and even penetrate into a real coal seam. In Hattingen not only the historic Altstadt is worth seeing, but also the former Henrichshütte.
Day 4: Essen - Duisburg (approx. 30 km)
Today is full of attractions. The Villa Hügel of the industrial pioneer Alfred Krupp and the Baldeneysee, where you can still find many witnesses of the beginnings of the Ruhr mining. In Werden you will be impressed by the Abbey of St. Ludgerus and the beautiful Altstadt of this 1200 year old town. Between Kettwig and Duisburg the RuhrtalRadweg leads through a lot of nature, because only a small part of the Ruhr bank is built on. A historic water tower with a water museum and the castles of Broich and Styrum round off the day.
Day 5: Departure
Summary: What makes this tour so extraordinary are the still recognizable traces of coal and steel and the imposing industrial monuments in contrast to the many idyllic and rural sections and nature reserves.
Prices for 2023:
460,- € per person in double room
575,- € per person in single room
- 4 x overnight stay in 3-4 star hotels with shower/WC
- luggage transfer from hotel to hotel to Duisburg
- a tour package incl. bike map and individual roadbook with many tips for the RuhrtalRadweg
- travel insurance certificate
- 7-day service hotline
- free table reservation: instead of a classic half-board, we will gladly reserve a dinner for you in the restaurant of the respective hotels.
- Extra night in Duisburg 58,- EUR p.P. in double room
- Rental bike for 3 days: 55,- € per city bike 8-speed // 70,- € per trekking bike 24-speed // 120,- € per e-bike
- travel cancellation insurance incl. "Corona" insurance
Number of participants & dates
Unaccompanied: from 2 persons, max. 15 persons recommended
Accompanied: on request, min. 10 and max. 15 persons recommended
Unaccompanied: free choice of dates
Accompanied: free choice of dates